As is well known, the Hudson River Valley was settled by the Dutch. In 1664 New Netherland (Manhattan & environs) was seized by the English; recaptured by the Dutch 1673 and ceded by treaty in 1674 to Britain. By the French & Indian War, 1754-1763, France lost Canada and the American Midwest to Britain. In 1762 Britain captured Cuba and in 1763 exchanged it with Spain for Florida. In 1782 Spain captured the British Bahamas and in 1783 in exchange took back Florida.
To the north of the present site of Troy was a tract of land purchased on June 21, 1763 from Robert Wendell by Abraham Jacob Lansing. By May 11, 1771 the town of Lansingburgh was surveyed, laid out in building lots and incorporated.
There were several family burial plots in Lansingburgh as well as Troy but the Village Cemetery in Lansingburgh was established very shortly after the town was incorporated. It is on the north side of 107th Street on 3rd Avenue and is the oldest such cemetery still in existence in Troy. The inscriptions were copied by the Daughters of the American Revolution and published June 19, 1916 in the TROY RECORD. One of the earliest is “Helen Hamilton d. Oct 1, 1786 aged 67 yrs.” The latest death date appears to be 1900, see Cooper. The best time for checking this cemetery in summer is from 1 –2 PM.
In May 1775, Lansingburgh drew up its own statement about the rights and liberties of America and resolved “to adopt and… carry into execution whatever measures may be recommended by the Continental Congress… until a reconciliation between Great Britain and America… can be obtained…” Several companies of men were sent to join the militia of Albany County. See p. 34 “History of the.. Towns of Rensselaer County” by A. J. Weise.
During the Revolutionary War, there were not many people in the area known as Van der Heyden’s Ferry as well as Ashley’s Ferry. The name Troy was chosen Jan 5, 1789 to designate the small collection of houses on the east side of the Hudson River, seven miles above the City of Albany. Two months later, on March 4, 1789, the Constitution of the United States was declared to be in effect. In New York City, George Washington was inaugurated as President on April 30, 1789. In Paris, France, on July 14, the Bastille was stormed.
1790 – the population of Troy was estimated as 150; that for the village of Lansingburgh as 599.
1792 – a Post Office was established in Lansingburgh.
1793 – rivalry between Troy and Lansingburgh was strong but Troy was designated as the seat of Rensselaer county government because it pledged more money for the erection of a County Court House.
1795 – Lansingburgh Academy was incorporated in December and a charter granted by the Regents of New York State in February 1796.
1796 – St Mary’s Church in Albany, the second Roman Catholic church in the entire State of New York, was established. It was under the one and only Diocese in the U.S., that of Bishop John Carroll in the city of Baltimore. The clergyman officiating in Albany visited Troy and Lansingburgh as often as possible.
1796 – a Post Office established in Troy. The town cemetery at State and Third Streets, Troy was opened. It was closed in 1833 and no longer exists. (Land given by Jacob. D. Vanderheyden May 10, 1796.)
1798 – Albany becomes the Capital of New York State and Troy was incorporated as a village.
1800 - population of Troy was 1,802; Lansingburgh’s was 1,200.
1803 - the Louisiana Purchase territory covered the present States of Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, most of Minnesota, and parts of Wyoming and Colorado.
1804 – Trinity Episcopal Church in Lansingburgh was organized on Jan 5. The first church at 115th Street and 4th Ave. was built in 1806 and had its own cemetery which still exists. This is the only churchyard cemetery now in Troy. The inscriptions were copied by the Daughters of the American Revolution and printed in the TROY RECORD Feb 21, 1917. Three of them were re –checked and are included here. The earliest inscription is for John Dougrey d. Feb 3, 1805 aged 78.
Churches had been organized soon after the founding of both Troy and Lansingburgh: 25 Sept 1784 Protestant reformed Dutch Church in Lansingburgh; 31 Dec 1791 First Presbyterian Church, Troy; 9 August 1792 First Presbyterian Church, Lansingburgh (see Blatchford inscription); 15 Oct 1795 First Baptist Church, Troy; 11 June 1803 Baptist Society, Lansingburgh; Nov 1803 Quaker Society, Troy; 16 Jan 1804 St Paul’s Protestant Episcopal Church, Troy; 8 Dec 1808 State Street Methodist Episcopal Church, Troy; 1810 Methodist Episcopal Church, Lansingburgh.
During the War of 1812, contracts were made with Ebenezer and Samuel Wilson of Troy (born Massachusetts) for supplying meat to the Army of the North. Samuel was familiarly known to Trojans as “Uncle” Sam. His barrels of meat were stamped by government officials with the letters “U.S.” which Trojans said stood for Uncle Sam. It was not too long before “Uncle Sam,” meaning the United States, was in common use. Samuel is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, his grave being marked with a tall flagpole. There are two flat stones and a plaque:
“U.S. – in loving memory of “Uncle Sam” the name originating
with Samuel Wilson, 1766-1854, during the War of 1812 and
since adopted by the United States. Erected 1831 by his
granddaughter Marion Wilson (Sheldon)”
“Samuel Wilson d. July 31, 1854 aged 88 yrs.”
“Betsy Mann his wife 1773-1863” (d. Aug 20 per obit)
1814 – The Mt Ida Prospect Park Cemetery was establish when “the necessity of an additional burying ground becoming apparent, on Aug 25, 1813 a meeting of taxable inhabitants of Troy was held. The Trustees appointed Timothy Hutton, Hugh Peebles and Esaias Warren to select a site. The land for the new cemetery was donated to the village by Stephen Van Rensselaer, a lot containing about 3 3/4 acres situated on the eastern slopes of Mt Ida, the deed conveying it to the village being dated Jan 20, 1814.” – see p. 244 George B. Anderson’s “Landmarks of Rensselaer County.” The cemetery no longer exists but the inscriptions were copied by the Philip Schuyler Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and printed in the TROY RECORD 6 July, 1916. Eight of them are re-printed herein. The latest death date among those published appears to be 1869 Catherine Brinkerhoff.
(Weise says 1815 corr. Deeds v. 7/13)
1816 – Troy incorporated as a city.
1819 – President Monroe’s treaty with Spain and the acquisition of the Floridas.
1821 – Mrs. Emma Willard (d. 1870) established the Troy Female Seminary. In 1895 the name was changed to the Emma Willard School and in 1907 Mrs. Russell Sage, a former student, endowed it with several million dollars and assumed almost personal direction of the plan for its removal to Pawling Avenue and the construction of the new Emma Willard School buildings.
1822 – the Roman Catholic Diocese of New York, created in 1808, encompassed the whole of the State of New York together with the northern part of New Jersey and had only seven churches; two in New York city; one each in Albany, Utica, Auburn, Carthage, N.Y., and Paterson New Jersey – see p. 104 “Laity’s Directory” of 1822.
1823 – the State dam and sloop lock on the Hudson River at Douw Street completed Sept 1, and on Oct 8 Troy celebrated the opened of the partially completed Erie Canal.
Lansingburgh’s trade and transportation facilities had stiff competition from Troy, increasing difficulties with obstruction in the channel of the Hudson River, and the opening of the Erie Canal to the south diverted much of the shipping.
“The superior advantages of Troy… rapidly became known. Immigrants from Vermont, Massachusetts, and the Connecticut Valley, appreciating the advantages of a location near Albany and within a few days sail down the Hudson River to New York City, began flocking in and purchasing land… Trade was revived; with the advent of farmers came manufacturers… e.g., the Burden Iron Works, Curley’s Precision Instruments, Meneely Bells, … with the city of Troy later becoming known as the greatest center in the world for the manufacture of shirts, collars, and cuffs.” – see pp. 227-245 “Landmarks.”
1824 - St. Peter’s congregation was organized in a school house on Ferry Street in Troy and attended Mass in the County Court House on Second Street. In June 1826 the Roman Catholics appealed in the newspapers for a place of worship of their own. On 19 Feb 1827 “the Roman Catholic congregation of the city of Troy… assembled at usual place of worship in the Court House” and elected nine trustees: Michael Agan, James Cantwell, Patrick Cole, George Dunlevy, Patrick Irwin, Edward Lawler, Patrick Mooney, Philip Quin, & Keating Rawson. See “Church Records” v. 1. P. 89 Rensselaer County Court House. Rev. Father Patrick McGilligan was the first officiating priest. Land was acquired 1827 and the first church consecrated 1830 with jurisdiction from Saratoga Springs to the Massachusetts border and from Salem in Washington County to Lebanon Springs.
1824 - in the summer the Troy – Boston Stage Line was established. It left Troy every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, the far to Boston being $7.50. On Sept 18 Lafayette paid his first visit to Troy. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (R.P.I.) was founded 5 Nov 1824 by Stephen Van Rensselaer and courses started Jan 1825. The fee was $25 per term.
1825 – both the Erie and the Champlain Canals were fully completed and migration to the west increased rapidly. Lafayette paid second visit to Troy on July 1.
1825 - population of Troy was 7,859; Lansingburgh’s was 2,423.
1827 – slavery was abolished in New York State on July 4.
1829 – land for the Old Roman Catholic Cemetery in Lansingburgh (yes; the cemetery came before the church) was purchased on Dec 29 by Keating RAWSON, resident and convert, who was born Aug 15, 1767 in the town of Dunlavan, Co, Wicklow, Ireland. The first burial probably was his wife, Annie EUSTACE of Ballymore-Eustace, Co. Kildare, Ireland who died, aged 65, a few days before the purchase. He died Nov 1842 and also was buried here but the family later re-interred the bodies in a vault in Oakwood. This is the oldest R.C. cemetery in Troy. It is on the south side of 107th Street on Third Avenue. The earliest record death date recorded is for Ally Hayes who died 1831; the latest is for Michael Buckley. Both are included here. Burials were not restricted to residents of Lansingburgh but included people from Waterford as well as members of St. Peter’s Church in Troy. As an example, there are two small stones: “Mary daughter of Dominick & Margaret GANLEY died July 8, 1848 aged 3 years 5 months.” “Catherine dau of Dominick and Margaret Ganley d. Apr 30, 1843 aged 11 mos 10 days.” Their parents are buried in St Peter’s: “Dominick Ganley 1808-1874. Margaret GLAVIN his wife 1818-1869. Thomas Ganley 1841-1896.” Thomas had a fatal heart attack in front of a bank in Troy on Sept 9 and his death caused a run on the bank though he actually had no connection with it. Again there is a flat stone now in the cemetery for “Bridget Finnerty died June 12, 1834 aged 23 yrs. Her sister Margaret d. July 21, 1832 aged 17 yrs. Erected by their father Thomas Finnerty.” The above is repeated on a stone in St Peter’s: “Thomas Finnerty 1772-1841. Catherine his wife 1781-1852. Margaret Finnerty 1814-1832. Bridget Finnerty 1819-1834… (etc.)” see “Tombstone Inscriptions in R.C. Cemeteries, Troy” by. L. M. Nial. There is a discrepancy in the dates for Bridget. Both stones were re -checked and verified as having been copied correctly. The monument (4-sided) in St Peter’s is of a much later date. See also the inscription on a stone erected by Edward Lawler (trustee of St Peter’s Church?) for his wife who is buried here. The best time to take readings in this cemetery in summer is from noon to 1 PM.
1832 – Mt Ida Pawling Avenue Cemetery was established, 12 2/10 acres being purchased by the City of Clarinda Boardman and others – see p. 250 Sylvester’s “History of Rensselaer County.” The Troy Burial Books call this “Corporation Ground.” The inscriptions were copied by the Daughters of the American Revolution and published in 1923. The cemetery is kept neatly in trim by the City. (Deeds v. 28/15)
1835 – St. Peter’s R.C. Church on Feb 5 bought 12 acres of land at one end of the Mt Ida Pawling Ave. Cemetery for the use of Catholic burials – see Deeds vol. 36 p. 415 “from the City of Troy to the trustees of St Peter’s Church.” The earliest inscription uncovered is on a flat stone: “Erected by James Cosgrave in memory of his wife Bridget who d. May 8, 1836 aged 28 yrs. Also his son John d. May 21, 1853 aged 19 yrs.”
1835 – On Oct 6 the Rensselaer-Saratoga train for the first time crossed the Hudson River to Troy from Green Island over the new bridge. This was the second one to be built crossing the Hudson. For many years the ferrying interests continued to oppose the building of bridges over the River. It was here that the Great Fire of Troy started in May 1862.
1836 – Troy, N.Y. – Stockbridge, Mass. Railroad incorporated.
1839 - many valuable record books were burned Feb 11 in a fire which burned part of the Rensselaer County Court House and County Clerk’s office – see p. 548 vol. 2 Hayner’s “History.” On August 10 Martin Van Buren, President of the U.S., visited Troy. The potato crop in Ireland failed.
1840 – population of Troy was 19,334; Lansingburgh’s was 3,330.
1842 – St John’s R.C. Church in Lansingburgh was incorporated June 5, with the following trustees: John Dooley, John Driscoll, Barnet Evers, George T. Gillespie, James Halligan, John Higgins, Daniel Murray, Keating Rawson and James B. Smyth. – see “Church Records” vol. 1. p. 149 Rens. Co. Court House. Land and appurtenances were purchased 15 Jan 1842 from the trustees of the First Universalist Society of Lansingburgh by Keating Rawson for $1,000 and sold to the trustees of St John’s Church for five hundred dollars on July1, 1842 “for the sole purpose of a church for the use of the Catholics of Lansingburgh and Waterford.” Use of the land as a burial ground was prohibited – see Deeds vol. 53 p. 263. St Mary’s R.C. Church, Waterford was erected 1848 and serviced by priests from Lansingburgh.
1842 - Rev. Father Peter Havermans arrived June 3 in Troy.
Lansingburgh industries accepted the challenge from Troy and were not standing still. They included, among others, the manufacture of brushes, crackers, oilcloth, handguns & rifles, boats, and carriages.
Deforestation and the carting away of earth from the Mt Ida Prospect Park area caused the various landslides which usually came down the western slopes toward and into Washington St. see map p. 133. No inscriptions were found for the 1 Jan 1837 landslide in which John Grace aged 57; his wife Hannah Grace, aged 40; Isaac Leavensworth aged 8, and Seaman Leavensworth, aged 4, lost their lives. “Appropriate funeral services took place over the four bodies in the Baptist Church.” For the 17 Feb 1843 avalanche see the Kelley and Kilfoile inscriptions.
1843 - St Mary’s R.C. Church founded in Troy by Father Peter Havermans, pastor; cornerstone laid 1843; consecrated 1844.
The potato had been the staple food of the Irish people who, in normal years, more or less starved in the summer when the old potatoes were finished and the new had not yet come in. In 1844 the early crop was largely lost. In 1845 and 1846, the potato blight (a fungus) ruined the entire crop. The people were starving and without work or money. Evictions began and the “famine fever” on a gigantic scale ravaged Ireland. The “fever” actually was two separate diseases: typhus and relapsing fever. Another horrible condition was “famine dropsy” now known medically as hunger oedema.
1845 – St Mary’s R.C. cemetery established; land was purchased Sept 10 – see Deeds vol. 63 p. 334 “from George Vail and Jane his wife to Rev. Peter Havermans.”
1846 - the first telegraphic connection was made between Troy and Saratoga Springs July 24; New York City and Troy Sept 9; and between Troy and Boston Oct 6. The Troy-Montreal Stage Line left every morning and arrived in Montreal early on the fourth day. The two-year Mexican War was declared in May 1846 and the treaty signed Feb 1848, with Mexico ceding claims to territory now comprising Utah, California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and parts of Colorado. By the treaty of 1846, US and British claims to the Oregon Territory were settled and the northern boundary fixed.
1847 - the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany created April 23. St Joseph’s RC Church in Troy was founded by Father Havermans; cornerstone laid 1847; consecrated 1853. The potato crop of 1847 in Ireland was good but insufficient.
1848 – gold was discovered in California which led to the 1848 Gold Rush that continued into the 1850’s. John Morrissey from Co. Tipperary is said to have been among those who went to California at this time.
In Ireland, the 1848 wheat and corn crops were poor and the fungus again ruined the potato crop.
1850 – population of Troy was 28,785; Lansingburgh’s was 5,752.
1850 – Oakwood Cemetery opened. The Troy Cemetery Association had been organized in 1848 – “Miscellaneous Records” v. 1 p. 15 Rens. Co. Court House. Land was purchased on the hill overlooking village of Lansingburgh for the purpose of a non-denominational burial ground; landscaped, laid out in plots, and dedicated 1850. The first burial was Lusher Gay who died Sept 3, 1850. Many re-interments have been made here from other cemeteries.
(140 acres in 1852 Sept 2, 1852, p. 1. Col. 7)
1850 – St Jean Baptiste R.C. Church (French) was founded by Father Havermans. Masses were held in St Mary’s until the first church was opened in 1851 (closed 1970; records with St Mary’s Church Troy). The Society of French Canadians of the City of Troy held a meeting 10 March 1867 and elected trustees… The Church and congregation were to be called St Jean Baptistes French Church of Troy, NY.
see “Church Records” vol. 2 p. 24 Rensselaer County Court House.
1854 – New Mt Ida Cemetery on Pinewoods Ave. opened Oct 5. See Deeds v. 97/447.
1855 – population of Troy was 33,269; Lansingburgh’s was 5,700.
1858 – St Peter’s R.C. Cemetery; land on Oakwood Ave. purchased Feb 11 – see Deeds vol. 103 p. 486 “from Thomas Sausse and Anna his wife to Bishop John McCloskey of Albany.”
1858 – another Mt Ida landslide March 19 destroyed St Peter’s College which was under construction.
1859 – John Brown, abolitionist, seized the US Armory, Harper’s Ferry, Va., Oct 16-18, in an attempt to arm slaves.
1860 – population of Troy was 39,235; Lansingburgh’s was 5,557.
St Lawrence R.C. Church (German) founded; first church built 1870/71.
1860 – St John’s R.C. Cemetery; land purchased June 23 on the hill overlooking Lansingburgh – see Deeds v. 113 p. 176 “from Philip O’Neil Jr. and Catherine his wife to Rev. Patrick Stanton of Philadelphia, Penn., Com. General of the Order of St Augustine.” The land was conveyed Jan 8, 1937 to St Augustine’s Church by the Augustinian Society. The earliest inscription is that for Timothy Kennedy died July 3, 1839 age 10 yrs 11 mos, son of Andrew Kennedy died 1869 and Margaret TRACY d. 1855 – see “Tombstone Inscriptions St John’s Roman Catholic Cemetery” by L.M. Nial.
1860 - St Joseph’s RC Cemetery; land purchased Nov 1 – see Deeds vol. 124 pp. 429-430 “from Francis N. Mann and Mary J. his wife to Rev. Joseph Loyzance of St Joseph’s Church.”
1861 - St Francis R.C. Church founded by Father Havermans; first church built in 1862; consecrated 1865. On Feb 19 President-elect Abraham Lincoln stopped in Troy on his way to Washington to be inaugurated. April 12, Fort Sumter, Charleston, South Carolina, was bombarded and the Civil War had begun.
The War Between the States is noticed on the inscriptions, see Boland, Kelleher, Smith. Particularly mentioned is the Andersonville prisoner-of-war camp (Hackett, Madigan, and Nihill); the battles of Antietam (Kelley and O’Keefe); Petersburgh (Hennessey); Gettysburgh (O’Keefe); Chancellorsville (Wright), and the 2nd Battle of Bull run (Dargen).
1862 – the Great Fire in Troy May 10 at a loss of over $2 1/2 million to 507 buildings and in which at least five adults & several children died as a result of the fire; see Hamilin inscription.
1862 – Troy University, built in 1856, encountered financial difficulties necessitating selling the property. On Dec 6, 1862 Rev. Havermans bought the buildings and grounds and converted them into St Joseph’s Provincial Theological Seminary under the supervision of Archbishop John Hughes. 800 priests were ordained from 1864-1892 after which the seminary was transferred. From 1892-1908 the buildings were used as an orphanage and an Italian seminary. The Sisters of St Joseph of Carondelet bought the property Sept 1908 for their Provincial House where they remained until 1963 when they went to Colonie. The property then was sold to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and torn down about 1968.
1864 – For some time it had been apparent that a larger church was needed for the Catholics in Lansingburgh. Since 1858 they had been faithfully served by the Augustinians. The first pastor was Father Mark Crane, OSA, a native of Ireland and one of five brothers who became priests. Father Mark was ordained at Philadelphia in 1835. The old St John’s church was till being used (later it would become “Rawson Hall” housing the parish school). The next pastor was Rev. Father Tomas Galberry, OSA, born in 1833 in Naas, County Kildare, Ireland; ordained in Philadelphia in 1856; arrived in Lansingburgh in 1860; laid the cornerstone for the new St Augustine’s Church 1864; died Oct 10, 1878 as Bishop of Hartford, Conn.
1865 – population of Troy was 39,293; Lansingburgh’s was 6,072.
Apr 9 – Gen. Robt. E. Lee surrendered at Appomatox
Apr 14 – President Lincoln shot; died April 15
1867 - Alaska purchased from Russia
1868 – the transcontinental railroad was completed May 10 and the Golden Spike driven at Promontory, Utah, marking the junction of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railroads.
1875 – the site for Troy’s Music Hall had been purchased by the Troy Savings Bank in 1870. Construction was begun 1871 and completed 1875; architect Charles Post. The first floor was and is occupied by the Bank. The entire upper portion is devoted to the acoustically perfect Music Hall and is reached by broad staircases and spacious lobbies. It is still in use.
1875 – site of the 3rd and State Streets Cem., Troy, was chosen for a new City Hall. “There were 156 graves still there, many having been disinterred previously & buried in Mt Ida and Oakwood cemeteries. All the remains found in the plot were removed to Oakwood at City’s expense. Some graves between the building and the First Baptist Church were not opened. Those marked with tombstones were covered with them and the inclosed space then evenly sodded.” p. 92 “Troy’s 100 Years” by Weise. No one seems to have copied the inscriptions on the stones thus sodded over.
(Deeds v. 169/247 re lots on Evergreen Ave. for re-interment of dead from the 3rd St. burying grounds. Troy Cem. Assoc.)
1878 – the Troy Telephone Dispatch Co. was organized on Feb 28.
1888 – the Blizzard of ’88 March 11-14; see inscription for Michael McDonough from Co. Limerick.
1890 – another Mt Ida landslide March 15, took three lives. Castle Garden, New York City, was closed as an immigration depot and Ellis Island opened Dec 13 (closed 1954)
1891 – St Jean Baptiste Cemetery Association incorporated Jy 23 with six trustees –see “Certificates of Incorporation” vol. 2. P. 130; land purchased 30 July 1891 “from Elijah W. Stoddard and Charlotte his wife” – see Deeds vol. 235 p. 325 and vol. 236 p. 37.
1897 – Father Havermans died July 22 and Pres. McKinley visited Troy Aug 20 to review the parade of the Army of the Potomac. My Mother recorded in her diary that she shook his hand & welcomed him to Troy. “In carriages, Pres. McKinley, Governor Black, Mayor Molloy, Col. McArthur.” (At the Pan American Expo. In buffalo, on 6 Sept 1901 Pres. McKinley was shot; died Sept 14.)
1900 – Elmwood Hill Cemetery, Belle Avenue; land purchased on July 7, 1900 – see Deeds vol. 292 p. 307 “from George A. Mosher to Elmwood Hill Cem. Association.: One inscription is included here, see Muckle.
1901 – the annexation of Lansingburgh by Troy became effective January 1 but the ‘Burgh retained its separate school system.
1903 – St Anthony’s R.C. Church (Italian) organized in a chapel on Ferry Street. In 1905 the vacant building of the First Unitarian Church at corner of State & 4th St. (site of Old Quaker meeting house) was sold to St Anthony’s. Extensive alterations were made and the church consecrated by Bishop Burke on May 26, 1907 at which time one hundred Italian children were confirmed. Present church was built1964 and the old one torn down.
1907 – St Anne’s Chapel (Syrian) was founded at 190 Fourth St. First Pastor was Rev. Gabriel Corkemaz who ministered to the Syrians throughout the Diocese of Albany.
1908 – Church of the Holy Trinity (Polish) was organized at Polk and Fourth Streets. First Pastor was Rev. Anthony Pinciureck.
1915 – until 1886 Lansingburgh streets were named King, Queen, Washington, Adams, etc. From 1886 they were numbered, north-south ones being called Avenues and the east-west named Streets. In 1915 the 100’s were used as a prefix as a means of eliminating confusion with Troy’s numbered streets.
1916 – Russell Sage College was established in the buildings vacated by the former Troy Female Seminary and endowed with an initial grant of $10,000 by Mrs. Russell Sage (d. 1918)
1938 – Troy’s City Hall destroyed by fire.
1958 – St Patrick’s parish received the “Spanish Sisters,” that is, the Mercedarian Missionary Sisters. They perform social service and visitation work and staff the Sunnyside Day Camp. A Mass for Spanish-speaking people in the Troy area was started in that parish.
1959 – Alaska and Hawaii admitted as States to the Union.
1975 – new City Hall built at Broadway and River St. Dedicated January 1.