County Tipperary

Roscrea


Roscrea was one of the first Irish towns to get "heritage" status in 1992, enabling inclusion in specialized marketing by Board Failte and eligibility for European Union funds earmarked for heritage projects.

The stipulation that initiation of projects must be by a town's community has been met by Roscrea's programme of restoration of historic buildings, development of a leisure and tourism center and their heritage walk.


 


 

Downtown Scenes
May 19, 2001



 
 
 
 

Roscrea Castle
Restored 13th century castle, with three floors,
used for exhibitions, one relating to Roscrea.


 

The Damer House
This early 18th century town house features a magnificently carved pine staircase.
It was rescued by the Irish Georgian Society and was a
landmark in conservation history.




 

Round Tower
This tower was originally about 20 feet higher but
was reduced to its present height by the Briish army
in 1798 after a soldier was shot from the top by a sniper.




 

St. Cronan Monastery Remains
The monastery was founded by St. Cronan between 600 and 620.
It was active during the 12th century during which it was either plundered or burned four times.
Of the 12 century Romanesque church only the west facade remains.  the rest of the church was demolished in 1812 and was replaced the the Church of Ireland church (to it's right) which is surrounded by the graveyard.



 

Downtown Castle Street
The Grant Hotel